...so one of the booths I stopped at and chatted for a while during Adepticon was Broken Egg Games . They make various cool items, but a big focus is their very cool tournament trays . "I should get one of these", I thought. Oh wait. I did get one of these. Last year, at Adepticon 2015. ...and it promptly got a half-assed coat of primer, and has been sitting on a shelf in my garage for a year. So anyway, I decided to remedy that - I've actually been playing every week lately, and am halfway considering a tournament in the fall, and a tournament board would come in handy. However, I needed it to be done as quick and easy as possible, so here's what I did. Here's what I was starting with: it's the MDF Large tournament tray from Broken Egg Games. I think I bought the unfinished MDF version because 1.) I'm cheap, and 2.) I originally had grand visions of doing some elaborate custom finish to match one of my armies. As I said, I started to prime it black, but I vaguely remember the primer going on fuzzy, or I ran out, or something else frustrating, and it got tossed on a shelf. I gave it a couple more coats of primer - I realized later that the MDF was literally soaking up spray primer as fast as I could put it on. I'd recommend using a brush-on primer, possibly even a latex house paint -type of primer to save some grief. I touched up the finish with some brush-on primer: (Note the festive tablecloth, compliments of my wife). Part of my original plan was to mask the interior of the cutouts to have a contrasting finish - but, I was not relishing the idea of that much time-consuming work with painter's tape and a hobby knife. I played around with some ideas, like possibly stuffing the holes with poster tack or silly putty, but I'd need a lot of silly putty. I thought of just using bases, but I didn't have that many spare bases in various sizes I'd need, and I'd still have to mask the slots in the bases. But wait: remember those MDF blanks I mentioned I'd bought at Adepticon in my last post ? I think I paid $10 for an entire quart-sized take-out container of these. I stuck 'em in the cutouts that I wanted to mask: Next, I grabbed a can of Krylon "Natural Stone" finish paint, which is a very easy way to get a stone-like finish. (Note: they actually make this in a "coarse texture" version, which is what I wanted to use, but they were out of it when I stopped by the craft store): Then I gave it a couple of coats: Then I pulled out the MDF blanks: Success! There was virtually no bleed over into the black areas! Next, I grabbed some black and some white paint and a small brush, and laid down some quick "cracked earth" effects in the flat areas: Now, I needed some felt for the dice/token storage area on the side. (The guys at Broken Egg included a piece of self-adhesive red felt when I bought the board, but it's long since gone missing). I raided my son's arts & crafts bin and stole a piece of bluish/purple felt: Then I cut it to size: Next, I raided my wife's scrapbooking supplies and stole her cutter that is used to "round" the corners when cutting paper: ...then I glued the piece into place with some spray adhesive: I also painted up some spare bases to use as blanking pieces: (I had a spare 120mm base, since I bought a custom base for my Judicator). ...as a final touch, I added some adhesive rubber bumpers I got at the home improvement store as "feet" to prevent sliding: (Note my faithful assistant's hand steadying the project for dad in the above pic). ...and there you have it - one (relatively) quick 'n easy tournament board!